Boiler Service Tips & Advise
If you want to get the best out of your boiler, it is essential to get it serviced regularly. We use our heating system at full capacity in winter so it can be very demanding on a boiler. An annual boiler service can keep your boiler running smoothly and safely throughout the year. Having your boiler serviced regularly may reduce the risk of a boiler breakdown and prolong the life of your boiler preventing the need for a boiler replacement.
Is boiler service important?
Your boiler should be serviced once a year to maintain its efficiency. In the short term, you could save money by not getting your boiler serviced, however in the long term it could not only reduce your energy bills but also help identify any potential boiler faults.
- Identify any potential problems
- Identify any boiler faults
- Reduce the risk of boiler breakdown
- Risk of leaking carbon monoxide gas
- Most manufacture will require you to have an annual service to keep the boiler warranty valid.
What happens during a Boiler service?
Boiler service is not a simple DIY job. Gas boilers should be serviced by a gas safe registered engineer and an Oil boiler should be serviced by a registered OFTEC engineer.
Boiler service consists of the following steps:
- Visual inspection: Engineer will inspect your Boiler to make sure it’s working correctly and meets the current standards.
- Fired up Boiler: Then engineer will fire up the boiler to ensure there isn’t any working faults.
- Inside the casing:
- Inside the casing: the casing will be opened and the engineer will look inside to ensure everything is working correctly. The engineer will check all the seals, gaskets, heat exchanger, burner and anything else that seems odd.
- Flue inspection:the engineer will inspect the flue to ensure there are no issues with it and is not emitting any unsafe fumes.
- Gas pressure check: a gas pressure test will be carried out to ensure it is functioning at the right amount of gas.
- Clean the components and check for any debris or lime scale.
- Replace any parts that could potentially breakdown.
How long does a it take?
Service should last anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour depending on the brand and model. Once the service is completed, the engineer will give you a service report which will have the details of the work carried out. If your boiler has a fault then boiler fault finding could take little longer.
Boiler service cost
The cost of a service will depend on the Type of boiler you have. A standard boiler service will cost from £50 to £100. A high efficiency service could cost from £90 to £160. You can use our free service to compare boiler service prices from gas safe engineers to find the most ideal price.
Gas Boiler Service
Gas boiler service has to be carried out by a gas safe registered engineer who will ensure your boiler is working efficiently and there is no risk of breakdown or carbon monoxide leaking into the home.
Oil Boiler Service
Oil boiler service has to be carried out by OFTEC engineer.